Holtwood Methodist Church has been described as a "Spiritual Oasis" set in a beautiful rural location a few miles north of Wimborne in Dorset. Our aim is to serve God in our community and beyond, to help to spread the Good News that Jesus is alive today and that, through faith in him, we too can enjoy life eternal. The great commission given to Christians by Jesus is that we must take this Good News to everyone — so that we may all decide for ourselves whether we are on Jesus' side or against him — for there is no middle road!
Holtwood is an evangelical Christian fellowship, where we seek to experience the power and presence of God's Holy Spirit in our lives, both individually and collectively. In response to the grace of God we try to live our lives in His service, both in the church and the communities in which we live. We believe in the active power and presence of Jesus, which is freely available to everyone who turns to Him. In these modern times we know that Jesus brings love, joy and peace to our busy lives, and we experience this in our worship and fellowship. We believe in the living Word of God in the Bible, and in the real power of prayer. We believe that Jesus holds the answers to life's questions, and has a plan for each one of us.
We have the following Church groups:
- Sunday Club for young people at 10:45am
- Housegroup meeting fortnightly on a Thursday at 7:45pm
- Prayer Group meeting fortnightly on a Wednesday at 7:00am
- Youth Club meeting weekly during school term time on a Wednesday at 7:30pm for ages 9 to 12 and 13 to 16.
- Sisterhood ladies meeting meets fortnightly on a Wednesday at 2:00pm — the Sisterhood has been established for more than 60 years.
- Holtwood Mission Band (HMB) are a group of musicians and vocalists, founded in the mid 1970s to provide worship and outreach opportunities for young people from Holtwood and nearby churches.
A variety of Community Groups also use our premises:
- Hot Potato Club meets on a Friday evening five times a year for a meal and varied speakers.
- Rainbows are the youngest members of the guiding family for girls ages 5-7 and they meet at 6.00pm on Mondays to play games, take part in craft activities including cooking.
- Brownies for girls aged 7-10 also meet and also meet at 6.00pm on Mondays. We have fun and make friends, while we work for badges and take part in other challenges.
- Guides — 10-14 years meet each Thursday at 6.30pm.
- Little Angels a group for parents and toddlers, meeting on a Thursday at 10am.
- Computer club runs on the third Monday of every month at 7:45pm and is an opportunity for people to learn new things about their computer and associated technology.
- The Mens Walking Group venture out on the first Saturday of each month meeting at 9:00am. The walks are generally between 5 & 10 miles and will often include a refreshment stop.
- The Friday Night Bus is a project where we go out to the local community (in Wimborne Square) from 10:30pm on a Friday evening until 01:30am on Saturday morning, offering free tea, coffee, water, toast and biscuits (or just a chat) to anyone who happens to be passing by.
We have two Missionary Workers — Brian and Laureen , who have worked in the mission field for many years, initially in the Philippines and now in Singapore.